Crafty Crochet (cro-shay)

The life of a long haired, barefoot, crochetin' momma

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Amanda's Halter Top Pattern

Amanda's Halter Pattern

Well sort of a pattern. I have never made something up before, and this is taken from many pictures I have seen from several places online and tried to figure out on my own. Therefore, it is not entirely my own idea so there is no way I would feel right about selling this pattern.
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Size: I made this for my 4 year old daughter, but I believe it can be made for any size
Hook - Bates G/6/4.00 mm
Yarn - Caron Simply Soft Brites
(I used Watermelon as the main color and Grape for the contrasting color)

With Main Color:

TOP
~~~
chain 30 (or what looks right for your child)
chain 2, turn
half double crochet in 2nd ch from hook, 2 hdc's in next ch, then
hdc in each ch across EXCEPT the 2nd to last ch, you will do 2
hdc's in the 2nd last ch and 1 hdc in last ch.
Ch 2, turn.
Follow above pattern (1 hdc, 2 hdc's, 1 hdc across, 2 hdc's, 1 hdc
in last) for 18 rows. (or untill it looks right on your child)

BELLY COVERING
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ch 3, turn.
Row 1: 2 dc's in first stitch, *ch 1, skip 1 stitch, 3 dc's in next stitch*
Continue the * to * across. (Mine turned out exactly even)

Row 2: ch 4, turn, 3 dc's in each space across.
In the last stitch do chain 1 then 1 dc in last dc of previous row (will make a straight side)

Row 3: chain 3, turn, 2 dc's in first space (right next to the chain 3 you just made)
ch 1, 3 dc's in each space across, including the VERY last space made by the chain 4 of the previous row.

Row 4: follow Row 2

Row 5: follow Row 3

Continue Row 2 and row 3 for a total of 9 rows and Finish Off

(or what looks right on your child)
(Amanda HAS to have her belly completely covered)

Make your last row a "Row 3"

BORDER and TIES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With Contrasting Color:
Attach yarn at the bottom of the "top" on one side.
(between the top trapezoid piece and the bottom granny petal stitch section)
Chain 50, ch 1, turn, slip stitch back along chain (first side/waist tie made)
single crochet up along side of top section. at top corner, chain 50, ch 1, turn, slip stitch back along chain (first neck tie made) single crochet along top edge, when you get to the corner, chain 50, ch 1, turn, slip stitch back along chain (second neck tie made) single crochet down the next side, at corner chain 50, ch 1, turn, slip stitch back along chain (second side/waist tie made)

DO NOT FINISH OFF

Ok, let's see how well I can describe this middle ruffle.
Starting where you ended the last tie, turn the halter top upside down.
You will see in the middle where you skipped a stitch, that is where the 5 dc shells will go. Sooooo..... (this seems odd, I know....) slip stitch into the first skipped stitch, *5 dc's in that same skipped space, slip stitch into next skipped space* what it should look like is a ruffle that covers the skipped stitches.
(If you know of an easier way to describe it, please let me know)

Here is a middle ruffle pic; hopefully that will help you understand:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The ruffle goes in the stitch where the hook is thru.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You could finish off here or continue around the belly covering/skirt part in a single crochet border. I finished it off here.

You could also crochet something or other for an embellishment in the middle of the top and/or bottom corner of skirt part, like a flower, or maybe a critter that your little one likes. A kitty face would be cute!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let me know if you find any errors or any improvments to make... thanks!

Enjoy!

16 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 6:24:00 PM, Blogger Karla said…

    Hi! Visiting from C'ville. Cute top. Love the colors.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:09:00 AM, Blogger Mimi said…

    Lovely halter!

     
  • At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 7:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is just adorable! I'm going to make it for my best friends little girl.

     
  • At Sunday, May 27, 2007 4:16:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This is a realy cute top. I have a 19 month granddaughter I think I will try one for. Thank you for posting it. Myra<><

     
  • At Sunday, May 27, 2007 1:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this is so cute. thanks for sharing im gonna make this for my grandaughter.

     
  • At Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi.. great pattern.. gonna try it for my granddaughter.. am forwarding the link to others I know..

    See u are from my area.. I live in Buffalo, NY.

     
  • At Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love this. I'm looking for a bathing suit pattern for myself and with a little modification, I think this will work perfectly. I also want to make them for my grand daughter's - I have 5. But the only grandson will be jelous! You have to think up a boy's outfit! Quick!!!

     
  • At Friday, May 09, 2008 6:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is a fantastic pattern. I just made one for my little niece and she loves it! Ive gotten lots of requests from friends :) Thank you!

     
  • At Sunday, June 29, 2008 3:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi I just wanted to tell that your site is great. I made this top I did change somethings because Im not the best at reading patterns....I did follow the pattern until I got to the bottom where the open is... I also added some of my own design to it but I did us your pattern and would love to send it to you so you could see it

     
  • At Friday, August 08, 2008 9:10:00 AM, Blogger pumashock said…

    you should add this pattern to Ravelry.com
    i have my FO of the project there, but I didn't want to just link you without permission... :)

     
  • At Thursday, October 02, 2008 7:29:00 PM, Blogger Slinky said…

    I made this as a dress for my 16 month old... It is sooooo cute I love it, its my first real crochet poject. it was easy to follow thank you:)

     
  • At Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, great halter. I'm new to crochet and it was so easy to follow. I've made so many for my granddaughter. She's not near me, but she is almost 3 so I just made it to your specs. She is big for her age so I hope they fit. I just sent them off to her today. I've done them in many different colors & mixes of colors too. Such fun. Thanks so much! Post more of your creations.

     
  • At Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just looking for a new project for my daughter and came across this one! Love it! Now I have to stop on the way home to buy some yarn!
    Beautiful.

     
  • At Friday, May 11, 2012 6:24:00 AM, Blogger Britta said…

    I'm a new crochet-er ... and I've got a question (this might seem ridiculous but ...): does the pattern go from the top down or from the belly up? I want to make this for my niece but she's 3 almost 4 and looks like a 6 year old (she suuuuper tall) and I want to get the sizing right. Any and all help would be appreciated.

     
  • At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:45:00 PM, Blogger Aleah'sMommy said…

    Thank you so much for this pattern! I found it this morning & spent the day working on it. I started around 10am & by 6pm it was completely done. My daughter Aleah is 5 & wears a size 6 but all I had to do was add a few extra rows at the bottom of each section & it fits her perfectly. She also loves it & wants me to make her another one.!!

     
  • At Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When crocheting the belly part, it did not always state to put a chain in between each dc so not sure what to do about that. I tried both ways but still was not sure which is correct.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home